Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Book 21 - The Mystery of the Castaway Children

From the back of the book - "From the backseat of the Bob-White station wagon, Mart said sharply "Watch it, Jim. Those headlights are coming up on us awfully fast...". Suddenly the whole interior of the wagon was flooded with light that blazed into Jim's eyes. "Shift that mirror!" he snapped at Trixie. Trixie obeyed, watching those freckled hands on the steering wheel and praying silently. If anyone can get us out of this nightmare, Jim can... "Dont slow down," warned Brian. "He can't miss hitting us"..."





After a heavy summer storm Trixie notices Reddy acting funny and when Brian investigates he finds a baby abandoned in Reddy's dog house. The Bob-Whites name the baby Moses and are entrusted with his care while the police search for his parents. When the babies parents are found it turns out they are missing two children, the baby and a young boy around Bobby's age, who seems to have run away. To make things more complicated a ransom note is delivered to the parents of the missing children! Now it's up to Trixie and her friends to find out if the kids really were kidnapped or whether the young boy ran away with his baby brother and someone is trying to take advantage of their distraught parents.

I really enjoyed this book, the mystery was interesting, the characters, both regular and new, were real enough to get me involved and all of the Bob-Whites acted as I expect them to. Di was wonderful in the way she cared for "Moses" and Bobby made me smile and I even laughed out loud once (when Jim asked Brian if being nuts ran in the Belden family).

One thing I found out of place was Trixie ignoring so many clues. She ignored the moving rug, the open fridge, the small change left for the food, the funny noises and shadows etc. It was so annoying that she made nothing of it when normally she can make huge mysteries of the smallest happenings.

While I remember this book being one of my favorites I'm not sure anymore. I think it was an above average entry into the series but it doesn't quite match my memories. Don't get me wrong I really loved it and powered through it quickly because I was really enjoying it, it just didn't have that same spark for me this read through. Out of ten I'd still give it a nine :)

The next book in the series is the Mystery at Meads Mountain. I remember the avalanche but not much else, I do remember really enjoying it though, we'll have to see if I enjoy it as much this time, I certainly hope so :)

No comments:

Post a Comment